Monday, September 11, 2017

I bought a bird with a broken wing.
Yes, I bought a flightless flyer.
I saved and saved
For the pricey thing
Flashing flowerbed colors
In a pet shop window.

But I bought him,
unknowing,
And I brought him
Not knowing,
Home to prep school standards,
And for all his filled-in style,
His Joseph's uniform,
He still failed the final,
Leaving it blank.

And I ask you:
Of what worth
Is a broken handle?
Of what value is a 
Needless knob?
What can it turn,
Alter, or open?
And since it can't,
Then why should I?

Why should I turn?
Why should I alter?
Why should I,
The buyer,
The owner,
The *consumer*,
Why should I open my heart to receive
The tattered garment,
The chipped glass,
The creaking gate
When
It
Drives 
Me
MAD!
Knowing what I never know.

I will never know
The rounded vase,
The curving statue.
I will never know
The well-tuned lyre,
The swelling chorus.
I will never know
The softest look,
The welcome whisper,
I will never know,
The friendly breeze,
The floating birdsong,
I will never know
The perfect peace,
The grateful slumber.

And I will never know
No, I will never care to know
At what price I was bought
Or ask
whether I, too, 
am broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment